Error code-50 Mac is known as a file transfer error. While copying files from one location to another or on the same hard drive or to an external hard drive, this error code generated at any time. This error occurs mostly on your Mac operating system.
When error code-50 mac appears, your files will not be copied successfully and you would receive an error message that states “The operation can’t be completed” and this unexpected error code 50 will pop up.
So, if you are the one who is facing this error while copying your document or picture or a whole file and folder then, do not worry. In this article, we are going to provide some effective solutions that will help you to fix this problem.
Common Reasons for Appearance of Mac OS Error Code-50:
Before we discuss the solutions, it is necessary to be aware of its deep-rooted causes so that it will be easier for you to understand the issue better. Several reasons are there that can generate this error code-50 on Mac. Here are the top reasons discussed down below-
- Due to the corrupted files and programs.
- For using outdated software or system.
- Wrong configuration of the system settings.
- If any issue occurs in your hardware.
- Issues with cache or junk files.
- Due to the malware attack.
- For the network issue.
So, if you find this error code occurs on your system then you have to check your system thoroughly and also have to use appropriate solutions if you notice any of the above-mentioned issues.
Also, check out some easy hacks that we are going to elaborate on in the next section below.
Troubleshoot Mac OS Error Code-50 Step By Step:
If you are continuously encountering this error code then, apply these nine solutions and try to fix the issue on the go.
1. Use Terminal and Try to Copy File
If you copy your files manually then use the Terminal program. Check out the below instructions to do so.
- Open Finder then click Go button.
- Now go to Utilities>then Terminal or Press shift+Command+U.
- Once you see the Terminal window, drag this command. Do not type the command manually-
- Hit Return and follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Verify Login Items
To fix mac os error code-50, you can reboot your system in safe mode. If the issue still pops up then the issue can be related to your login items. In this case, check your login items and you find any problems there then you have to clean them.
- Open your system preferences and then navigate User & Groups.
- Go to the left side and hit on your account icon.
- Select the Login Items tab from the right side.
- Once you see a list of options comes up, select items from the list.
- Click on the minus sign and clear them.
- Now, reboot your system and check the issue.
3. Examine Partition Map
You can also check the partition map and fix the problems.
Use a Recovery Disk and restart your Mac.
- Access the Applications folder and click on the utility folder
- Open Disk Utility.
- Check and fix the SSD.
- Once you see the results on the screen, check drive permission and other settings
- Finally, check Partition Map.
4. Modify Power Settings
Sometimes error code 50 occurs when there is an issue in the power settings. So, check the power settings and enable automatic sleep for your hard disk. You can find these settings in the Energy saver options.
- Click System Preferences and go to the Energy Saver option.
- Then, check the box that states “Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible.”
- Finally, click on OK.
5. Use Reliable Security Software
If you find this error code 50 then check whether your system is showing any suspicious activities. If it shows then probably your system has malware or malicious file. In this situation, check the computer’s state and run a system scan with reliable anti-malware software and delete all the unwanted files if any. After cleaning the files, check if you still find the error.
Also Recommend: iPhone Error 3194
6. Update Your Old Software
If you are using outdated software for your system for a long time then it loses its capability to perform well. As a result, you notice error code 50. That is why you must check available updates and install them as per requirement.
- Go to the App Store.
- Click on the Update icon.
- If updates are available then, click on the Update All button.
- Download and install all Updates by following the on-screen instructions.
7. Remove Cache and Junk Files
If any file gets damaged and corrupted in your system then it can hamper the performance of your system and cause many errors. Therefore, you must verify your system on a regular basis and if you find problems due to the cache and junk files then clean them as soon as possible.
- Open your Mac Finder and access the GO tab from the Finder Menu.
- Go to the drop-down menu and select the Go to Folder option.
- Once a dialog box pops up, type the below command and then click Go
- Make sure you have created a backup copy of the files that you are going to delete in case something goes wrong.
- Click CMD+A keys and choose all the files and folders in the Cache folder.
- Now all the files need to be moved to the Trash folder.
- Clear the Trash folder and check the issue.
8. Check Hardware and Fix the Issue
Mac OS Error code-50 occurs for hardware problems. If this is the case then you must check your hardware components thoroughly and fix issues if there is any. Check out the below-mentioned steps one by one. Ensure before you make any changes, back up your system or data to avoid data or information loss.
- Switch on your Mac and press the power button.
- Press and hold the Command+option+P+R and restart your system. Once you hear the startup sound two times release all the keys.
- The PRAM has been reset.
Reset SMC On MAC Notebook(Removable battery)
If you are using a Mac notebook then you must use these steps.
- Switch off your Mac.
- Remove the battery.
- Press and hold the power button for a few seconds and switch on your Mac again.
For MacBooks (Without Removable battery)
- Switch off your Mac.
- Go to the left side of your keyboard and click Shift+Control+Option and on the other hand press the power button simultaneously.
- Hold all these keys and the power buttons for 10 seconds and release the keys.
- Now, turn on your system and check the issue.
For Mac Desktop
- Turn off your system and unplug it from the power source.
- Wait for a few seconds and plug it back in.
- Wait for another few seconds then press the power button.
- Switch on your Mac device and check the issue
9. Use a Compressor Program
After using all the methods if you still find an error code-50 mac error then you need to split the files into many parts as the files can be huge. There are several compressor programs available online that you can download and install in your system can fix the issue.
- Go to reliable sites and download and install a compressor program.
- Drag the files that you want to copy.
- Provide all the required details.
- Under “Split to volumes (bytes)” drop-down box, choose the most convenient split type and then click on OK.
- Wait until the process completes,
- Exit and choose all the split files and copy them to the destination folder.
These are the few solutions that you can apply if you see error code-50 on Mac. Try the hacks one by one until you fix the issue. If you find the solutions helpful for you then share your experience with us.