10 Fixes for Mac Sound Not Working [Resolved]
Sound problems on a Mac system is not uncommon. At times, when you are trying to watch a movie or listen to music from iTunes on your Mac system, you may find that Mac sound is not working.
This problem mainly appears when you have not updated the audio driver on your Mac for quite some time.
Many users have reported that they have encountered this problem after updating the Operating System. Others say that they have confronted this error after installing a new audio driver on their Mac PC. However, they do not know how to fix this issue.
If you are one of them who are searching for solutions to this issue, then this article will help you. Here, we will be discussing some useful and effective methods that can help you to solve this issue of sound not working on Mac.
Causes behind Mac Sound Not Working
Mac sound may not work due to several reasons including:
- An older version of the Mac OS
- Incorrect sound settings
- Corrupted sound driver
- Bluetooth turned on
- Wrong audio device
How to Fix Mac Sound Not Working
Before moving to other solutions, you need to restart your Mac system. Sometimes, restarting a Mac system can fix various problems including this one. So, this is the first fix you need to try.
After performing a restart, if the problem persists, then you need to follow the other methods mentioned below.
Method 1 – Volume Up Mac OS
Ensure that you have not muted the volume or set it too low. If you do that, then you can face this problem. So, you need to unmute the volume or increase the volume by moving the slider to the right to set it to the maximum.
Method 2 – Check the Sound Settings
Incorrect sound settings can cause the Mac sound to not work properly. So, you need to correct the settings by following these steps:
- Click on the Apple icon located at the top left corner and choose the System Preferences button.
- From the System Preferences window, navigate to the Sound section.
- In the Sound section, go to the Output tab. If you have a laptop, select Internal Speakers. If it’s not a laptop, you may see “Digital Output.” Make sure that you have chosen the desired output.
- Once you change the settings, restart the Mac system and then check if the issue is fixed or not.
Method 3 – Switch Off the Bluetooth
Sometimes, the sound may not work on Mac if the Bluetooth is turned on. So, you need to switch off the Bluetooth to fix this issue. Follow the steps below.
- Open the Apple menu by clicking on the Apple icon. Next, from that menu, select System Preferences.
- When the System Preferences window opens, go to the Bluetooth tab.
- On the Bluetooth tab, if you see the Bluetooth is turned on, then click on the Turn Bluetooth Off option to turn it off.
Method 4 – Reset NVRAM
One of the easy methods in which you can quickly get rid of this problem is to reset the NVRAM. To know more about it follow the steps cited below:
- At first, turn off the system.
- Press the Power button to switch on the Mac.
- After that, press and hold the Command + Options + P + R keys together.
- Hold them till the device starts and you will get to hear a chime.
- After resetting the NVRAM, check to see if the sound on your Mac works properly or not.
Method 5 – Reboot the Sound Controller
Rebooting the sound controller can fix sound problems on a Mac. Follow these directions:
- Press the Command and Space keys at the same time to open the Spotlight Search box. Type Activity Monitor and then press the Enter key.
- When you are in the Activity Monitor window, go to the CPU tab and locate CoreAudio, right-click on it. After that, select the Quit Process button.
- Once you are done with these steps, the Sound Controller will start automatically. Now check if the sound works correctly or not.
Method 6 – Create a Testing Account in Safe Mode
Creating a testing account in safe mode can solve the Sound not working issue on a Mac system. Here’s how to do that:
- Switch off the Mac system.
- To enter the safe mode, hold the Shift key and press the Power button. Do not leave the Shift key until you see the Apple logo.
- Once the system is on, select the System Preferences button.
- When the System Preferences window opens, click on the Users & Groups section.
- From the Users & Groups window, click on the Lock icon and then click on the Add icon. After that, enter the user password if prompted.
- Next, select Administrator from the New account. After that, put a name in the Full Name field and then click on the Create User option.
- Now, a confirmation page will display on the screen to create a new account. Click on the OK option followed by the Close option.
- Once the new account is created, restart the system and then log in to a new account. After performing all these steps, check if the sound works properly.
Method 7 – Update the Mac Operating System
Sometimes, updating the Operating System can solve many problems on your Mac including this one. So, it is important to keep the system up to date. Below are the steps to do that.
- Select the Apple icon and choose System Preferences from the Apple menu list.
- Once you are in the System Preferences window, go to the Software Update tab.
- From that tab, if an update is available, you will get to see the Update option, click on it. Once the update process is complete, the Mac system will automatically restart.
Method 8 – Update the Audio Driver
An outdated version of the audio driver can cause the sound not working issue on a Mac. So, you can update the driver by following these directions:
- Go to the official website of the Mac and look for the latest version of the Audio driver.
- After finding the latest version of the Audio driver, download it by pressing the Download button.
- After downloading the file, install it correctly. When you install it, follow the directions which pop-ups on the screen.
- Once the installation process is done, check if the problem is solved or not.
Method 9 – Disconnect External Devices
Another effective method to fix this sound not working on Mac is to disconnect the external devices that you have connected to your Mac system. Follow these steps:
- Disconnect the headphones and connect it again.
- Launch the iTunes or any music player application.
- Start playing any song.
- Disconnect the headphones from Mac’s port when the song is playing.
- After doing this, check if Mac’s sound works correctly.
Method 10 – Reset SMC (System Management Controller)
Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) can also solve the sound problem on your Mac system. Follow the directions as stated below:
- Press the Power button to switch off the Mac system.
- Connect Mac’s power adapter to the Mac.
- Next, press and hold the Power + Shift + Control + Option buttons together for about 10 seconds.
- Once you are done, now the system will reboot.
We hope the methods that we have provided above works well in getting rid of the Mac sound not working issue. Let us know in the comments whether the methods worked for you or not.