Mac USB ports not working? Fixed With 3 Easy Hacks
Getting USB failure issues on Mac? It is indeed a peculiar and unwanted problem. Out of blue, you may note that the Mac USB ports not working. But, this situation does not demand a heft solution, with 3 simple workaround you can resolve the problem.
But first, you need to get to the root cause that might trigger this problem. Often, a connection failure while trying to connect the USB cable is the basic cause. Due to the software issue, the USB port might fail to identify any connected devices.
Faulty USB devices and cables can also trigger this problem. Sometimes, the installed applications can be one of the reasons behind this error. Whatever be the cause, if the USB ports stop working, then this article can be your ultimate guide. Simply go through the hacks and implement them in the appropriate sequence mentioned below.
3 Quick Fixes to Resolve USB ports on Mac not working
There are two easy ways to fix this issue. However, these simple processes depend slightly on the hardware of Mac. Follow the fixes and resolve the problem at the earliest.
Fix 1: Reset the SMC
Resetting the System Management Controller is quite an easy fix that will cure this hardware issue on the Mac device. Here, we have discussed the steps meant for Macbook, Mac Pro, iMac and Mac Mini.
Steps for Resetting the SMC on a MacBook
- First, you need to shut down the Mac device and connect the power adapter.
- Now, hold the Shift, Control, Option, and Power key together for a few seconds.
- When the light will start to blink or if the color changes you will get to know that the SMC reset process is complete.
- Now, release all the keys at the same time. Restart the Mac device next to check for the error.
The USB port of the Mac will start functioning properly. You can connect a USB device to test the workability of the Mac laptop.
Steps for Resetting on Mac Pro, iMac and Mac Mini
You need to perform these steps to get solves the error.
- The first thing that you need to do is shut down the Mac device.
- Next, disconnect the power cord from the power outlet.
- Now, try to press and hold the Power button for a few seconds and release it.
- Next, you have to reconnect the power cord again. Switch on the Mac device to check if the error is fixed.
If you find these steps difficult to perform, you can also opt for the next method to solve the error.
Fix 2: Reset the NVRAM
Still facing the USB failure issue? Don’t worry. You can get rid of the problem by just resetting the NVRAM.
NVRAM keeps various data about the USB components. So, resetting the configuration can be a worthy trying solution to fix all the USB woes.
Resetting the NVRAM is different from resetting the SMC. But the steps are quite easy and you just need to first is shutdown the Mac device.
Now, restart it and press the Command, option, P and R keys at the same time. You have to hold the keys until you hear a sound and see the screen flash. This might take a while. Listen to the chime sound and then start the Mac device to fix the error.
Performing the above steps will help you to solve the issue. In case, if the USB port is still not working then the issue can be directly associated with the software glitches.
Fix 3: Uninstall the Conflicting Apps
Sometimes, the apps that are installed on the device, can be a cause leading to this error. If you have downloaded any app from an unknown source then it can be a source of harmful malware which can be conflicting with the USB functionality.
To avoid such an issue in the future try to download apps from reliable sources. For now, to fix the problem you need to remove the apps that you have downloaded from the unknown sources.
You can use the Launchpad or the Finder application to remove these conflicting applications from the device.
How to Uninstall Apps using Launchpad?
Using the Launchpad you can easily eliminate all the conflicting applications, here are the steps:
- At first, you need to open the Launchpad first.
- Now, choose the apps that you want to uninstall.
- Hold the app’s icon until it starts to jiggle off.
- Click on the “X” icon when it will appear after installing the apps.
- The last thing that you need to is, click on the “Delete” option.
How to uninstall apps using Finder?
If you want to remove the apps using the Finder then follow these steps:
- First and foremost, open the Finder application and then go to the Applications section.
- Search for the apps that you want to remove.
- Now, drag the icon of the apps to the Trash icon.
- Click on the “Trash” icon and choose the “Empty Trash” icon to accomplish this process.
We have discussed the possible solutions on how to solve USB ports not working Mac problem. It is indeed very annoying when one or more than one USB ports stop working, especially when your work depends on those external peripherals.
So, there is nothing to worry about if you ever encounter such a problem. All you need to do is follow the steps carefully to fix the problem at the earliest. You can also leave your queries in the comment section.