You can use Macintosh OS in “Recovery Mode” if your computer needs to detect and fix some internal software utility problems. It is one of the safest ways to recover your Mac OS from sort problems like startup error, disk partition issues, and many more.
In this guide, we will discuss various startup setting processes to use Recovery Mode, boot from the Internet Recovery Mode, boot from the terminal, and so on. The steps to enter into Mac Recovery Mode including its restart procedures are described in the next section.
Instructions Regarding How to Restart Mac in Recovery Mode
If you want to know how to restart Mac in Recovery Mode, first, learn the Recovery key combinations. These combinations will help you to perform and sort out these processes more efficiently. The combinations also help in troubleshooting various issues on your computer. So, the recovery combination keys are explained in detail in the following points.
Recovery Key Combinations
The recovery key combinations for Mac are given below. So, observe the icons and functions carefully, as these are quite different from keys on any other computers and operating systems.
- Command (⌘)-R: It is the built-in recovery option for Mac OS. You can also use “Option-Command-R” or “Shift-Option-Command-R” to start up from the Mac OS Recovery Mode using the Internet.
- Option (⌥): Use this key to launch the Startup Manager, which allows you to choose other startup disks or volumes. If your Mac is using a Firmware Password, you have to enter the security code when asked.
- Option-Command-P-R: Press this key to reset NVRAM or PRAM. If your Mac is using a Firmware Password, then it ignores this key combination and starts up from the Mac OS Recovery option.
- Shift (⇧): This command is for starting up Mac in Safe mode. You can use the following commands by pressing the Shift key simultaneously.
- D: It is the built-in Apple Hardware Test or Apple Diagnostics utility application, depending on your Mac’s computer model. Otherwise, use “Option-D” to start up from this utility with your Internet connection.
- N: Helps your system to start up from a NetBoot server. If you want to use the default boot image on your computer, hold down the “Option-N” key from your keyboard.
- Command-S: It helps you to start your Mac in a single-user mode. This key combination requires an upgraded version of Mac OS.
- T: Starts up in the HDD mode and target it to perform a certain task. It is the shortcut to apply “First-Aid” to your disk drives.
- Command-V: This command helps you to start Mac in Verbose mode (multi-user access including Firmware password).
- Eject (⏏) or F12 key or left mouse button or touchpad button: You can use this icon to eject Removable disk drives from your computer.
Restart Mac in Recovery Mode
We hope that you have learned the combinations including the functions and shortcuts of Mac. Now, it’s time to restart your OS by following Mac Recovery Mode. The steps are as follows.
- Click on the Apple logo, which is situated on the top-left side of your computer screen. Then, select the “Restart” option.
- Immediately, hold the Command and R key on your keyboard until you see Apple’s official logo or the spinning Earth logo. The Earth logo states that your computer is trying to start Recovery Mode in macOS with the help of the Internet. Because it cannot start the recovery process from its built-in recovery feature.
- Now, a dialog box will appear after a few minutes titled “macOS Utility”. It is an indication that you have successfully entered in the Recovery Mode.
- Here, you can find multiple options like Reinstall macOS, Reinstall From Time Machine Backup, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.
Most Common Problems and its Fixes
While using Mac, you can face some of the most common problems like a corrupted disk drive, missing data from your computer, start-up problems and corrupted OS. The solutions are given below. So, to boot into Recovery Mode in Mac, make sure to try these processes.
Restore from Time Machine Backup
The Time Machine backup is used to recover all of your data into Apple’s cloud storage. To install it, you have to follow these certain procedures listed below.
- Make sure that your Time Machine backup feature is on. Then, turn on to the Mac Finder and open the Migration Assistant application.
- Select “from a Mac”, “Time Machine Backup” or “Startup Disk” option. A transfer window will open and you will see your previous backup file. Click on it and hit the continue arrow.
Note: Depending upon the size of your backup file as well the speed and quality of your Internet connection, the restore process might take some time.
Reinstall Mac OS
Re-installing your OS will refresh your computer and it will remove all sorts of error from your software. Follow the step-by-step guide to do it.
- Press Command (⌘)-R, Option-⌘-R, Shift-Option-⌘-R and wait for your computer to restart. So, follow these steps to enter into recovery mode.
- Now, erase your hard drive from the “Disk Utility” options. Then, a dialog box will appear asking you to install the Mac OS. Click on the continue arrow option and wait for the installation to finish.
Get Help Online
To understand how to boot into Recovery Mode Mac, you can search online with Apple’s default Safari browser. Here, you can get help with various problems directly from Apple.inc. So, refer to this process if any of the solutions discussed here don’t work.
This section helps you to erase the hard disk drive before installing a fresh OS on your Mac PC. Hence, enter into the Safe mode by following the process described above. Then, a prompt box will appear and displays the name and volume size of the HDD. Click on the “Erase” option and wait until the process is complete.
We hope that all the above-discussed information will be helpful for you to enter into the Recovery Mode in Mac. You can also utilize these instructions for solving all the common problems in Mac OS.
So, when your Mac faces any problem and recovery is the only option, apply these steps carefully. If you have any problems, tips or suggestions, let us know in the comment box given below.