How to Speed Up Macbook Pro with 6 Simple Hacks
MacBook Pro is one of the best laptops that you can buy today. This will give you all the features that you might need. But using it for an extended period of time is going to cause performance issues.
If that is the problem that you are facing currently and that is hampering the productivity then do not worry. Just go through this article to find out what to do about to speed up the device
Here, we will not only show you how to speed up MacBook Pro but all the things that cause it to slow down. Thus, you will be in the best position to resolve this performance issue as easily as possible.
More than that, as you speed up your MacBook Pro with the instructions that we have given here. You will be able to replicate the process whenever you need it. So, read along and fix the problem without any sort of expert intervention.
Things that Might Cause the MacBook Pro to Slow Down
Now, to point out the things that cause your computer to slow down, most of the issues are rather obvious.
- First and foremost among them is if you are using your MacBook Pro for a lot more resource-intensive than your computer is capable of handling. This not only slows down system performance but can damage your computer system in the long run as well.
- It can either be a situation where you are using a lot of different programs at the same time. Or it can be the case that you are using a few, but those are very resource-intensive by themselves.
- These kinds of things are more common as your MacBook Pro gets older and older. There is another common issue of out of date system software. That can also cause the laptop to slow down.
- Out of date system hardware can also be why you are facing such issues with performance. This is especially the case for RAMs which have to be in the best possible working conditions. Otherwise, that will start by slowing down the system performance and can get worse from thereon.
- Also, if you are having a lot of files on the system, and you are not using them, then that is a case of saturation which will eventually slow down system performance.
So, here are the primary reasons why you might get such performance issues.
How to Speed Up Macbook Pro with 6 Easy Methods
Have a look at 6 methods that will help you optimize the performance of your MacBook Pro. Read through this carefully and then execute the steps.
Use Activity Monitor to Identify Resource-intensive Programs
Mac computers have this great feature called Activity Monitor which allows the user to check the activity status of programs running on the computer.
Here, you will be able to use this to identify the programs that are causing the system to slow down.
- Look for the Applications option on your Mac home screen and click on it to open that window.
- Over there, find the Utilities option and double-click on it to expand that section.
- Now, look for the icon for Activity Monitor in the Dock, and click on it. Then from there, select the Keep in Dock option
- Click on the View option from here and then click on the Dock icon. Now, find out the Show CPU Usage option and click on it to bring the list report. In some cases, it can be the History option as well.
You are going to find out with complete details as to which program is accounting for how much processing resources.
With this information, you will be able to decide which programs to keep and which ones to disable. So, you are able to enjoy optimum performance speed from your computer.
Disable all Visual Effects
Visual effects on the different screens of your Mac can be really entertaining. But if you are getting performance issues from your computer system, then the best course of action for that will be to disable all those visual effects. Here is how you will be able to do that.
- On the home screen of your Mac, look for the System Preferences option and click on it.
- Within that section, click on the Dock option and it will take you to the Visual Settings section.
- Find out the Animate opening applications option, and the Automatically hide and show the Dock option. Click on the checkboxes next to these options to deselect them.
- Finally, click on the Minimize windows using option, and set the type of effect from Genie to Scale.
Thus, by turning off the on screen visual enhancements effects, you will be able to optimize system performance.
Declutter the Desktop View
The more program icons that you have running from your desktop, the more RAM has to work. For any case of system performance slowdown, check how many programs you have running from the desktop.
If there are many, then you will have to disable most of them to take the load off your RAM. So, just getting rid of the program icons that you do not need currently can help optimize system performance.
But at the same time, be sure to keep all the backups for the program icons that you delete.
Get Rid of Other Unused Apps
With Mac computers there are a lot of apps that work, but not explicitly in the foreground. That is why you should pinpoint each and every one of them and then delete them one by one to optimize the system performance.
You can use the Launchpad feature of Mac to carry out this process, and here is how to do that.
- On the Dock of your MacBook Pro, find out where the Launchpad icon is and click on it.
- Now, from the list of apps that will come up, select all the apps that you want to remove.
- Click on one of the apps and hold on to it as the icon starts shaking. As that happens, click on the X button to the top left of the screen.
- From there, as you get the Delete option on the screen, click on it to remove the app.
Just like this, you will be able to remove the apps that you need to one after the other, thereby improving the system performance.
Disable All the Startup Programs
By deactivating all the login programs of the Mac you can improve system performance to a significant extent. Here is how to speed up MacBook Pro by this approach.
- Select the System Preferences option from the home screen of your MacBook Pro.
- Now from here, go to the Users & Groups section and look for your username for the account.
- Go to the Login Items tab and click on it to expand and check the running startup programs.
- Below all of that, find the – sign and click on it. That will stop the startup programs you have selected.
With this, you are going to get better performance from the system. And if you want to activate any of the startup programs back again, you can run the same process, just click on the + button in place of the – button.
Finally, make sure to restart your MacBook after you have finished this process.
Build the Spotlight Index Back Again
Updates to your Mac can cause a noticeable decrease in system performance. This occurs especially as the Spotlight starts indexing the different sections of the system.
So, the best thing to do here will be to reindex this function and here is how you will be able to do that.
- Open the System Preferences section of your MacBook home screen. Look for the Spotlight option from there.
- Click as you find that option and then click on the Privacy tab to expand it.
- From there, drag the Macintosh HD icon to this window. Then, click on the OK button as you get the prompt for that.
- Pick the drive which you added from the list on the screen. That is going to start the reindexing process for Spotlight.
Wait as it completes and then you can check whether the system performance is up to par or not.
With the 6 processes that we have listed to show you how to speed up MacBook Pro. You will be able to fix up the slow system performance in no time.
In case, you want to clarify any doubt that you have regarding this issue or something else that relates, then you can ask that in the comments section. And if you want more articles like this to help you troubleshoot technical glitches, you can look for that on our website.